Life's a dance

"Life's a dance you learn as you go
Sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow
Don't worry about what you don't know
Life's a dance you learn as you go"
-John Michael Montgomery Life's a Dance

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

The Case for Acquaintances on Facebook or Why I only have 89 Facebook friends.



You might not realize it but I’m an introvert.  You might wonder why I’m pastor then if I’m an introvert?  Because I was called and that is a discussion for another day. 

Many people assume that introverts don’t like people.  This is not true.  Introverts just don’t like a large group of people all at once.  We like people but only a few at a time.  After all how many people can you give your attention to at once?  I find more then a couple taxes my concentration skills.  Perhaps some of this has to do with my ADD.  I will let the professionals ponder and research that one.

As an introvert friendship is a highly prized gift.  It is not something given and received on a lark.  Now don’t get me wrong I don’t think you need to be a friend of someone to like that person.  I know lots of people that I like that I don’t really consider a friend.

I can hear your audible gasps of shock and abhorrence at that last statement.  I think the age of Facebook has diluted our understanding of the word friend and even the idea of what a friend is.

This blog was sparked by a friend request that I got recently.  I get them rather frequently.  It’s usually a request from someone I have never heard from before.  This particular person had over 300 Facebook friends.  Most of these types of requests that I receive the person has several 100 “friends.”  I often think, “Seriously you have that many friends?”  I wouldn’t know what to do with that many friends how can a person have any kind of meaningful interaction with that many friends?

Facebook says I have 89 friends but the truth is that correcting for family that number is probably closer to 9 or 10.  Now don’t get me wrong I like all the people that I’m “friends” with but be honest if you are “friends” with me on Facebook it’s highly unlikely that you know my birthday, my wedding anniversary, my first job, my high school.  We’ve probably never done anything socially and probably the only reason that we are friends on Facebook is because of one two reasons.  One you are a Facebook friend collector and send a friend request to ever suggestion that Facebook offers you or two because I happen to be the pastor at FBC.

Now don’t misconstrue what I write here to believe that I dislike you or don’t want to be your friend.  Don’t take offense, let your emotions go for a minute take a deep breath and let the logic kick in and answer this question?  Would you invite me to your birthday party?  Now before you answer know this, if you invite me the only gift you might receive from me is the pleasure of my company.  Knowing that, would you still invite me to your birthday party?

Probably not, and here is a list of 10 reasons why:
One is because you may be a kid in our youth group and that would just be creepy. 
Two you may be a friend of my children’s and have “friend requested” me because of that fact and then it would just be creepy to invite me to your birthday party. 
Three the idea of having a pastor attend your birthday party would really put a damper on your party. 
Four you just “friend requested” me out of politeness and really can’t stand me.  If you "unfriend" me it won't hurt my feelings. 
Five you don’t really know me and so you are unsure of weather or not you would be able to stand me let alone like me. 
Six you don’t really know me and are afraid I would suck all the fun out of your party.  
Seven you don’t know me and are secretly afraid I would purloin all your well deserved attention.  Okay maybe this one is only in my dreams but you never know.
Eight looking at my Facebook page you realize that the only thing we have in common is that we are both homo sapiens .
Nine you are afraid that I might reciprocate and invite you to my birthday party and then you would feel obligated to attend, after I had attended yours, and then we would be involved in this reciprocal friendship that you really didn’t want because the truth is you were just trying to rack up Facebook friends so you could have more friends then your friends have.
Ten we are not really friends but acquaintances. 

This is by no means an unabridged list and feel free to come up with your own reasons for not inviting me to a birthday party or any party.  Oh and for the record I don’t really like parties, because I’m an introvert and I don’t like large crowds not because I don’t like you, but I do like white wedding cake and Minsky’s pizza.

So the next time Facebook suggests a friend, STOP take a breathe and count to ten.  Then think, then answer the following questions and take the appropriate action.

Have you ever met this person in the real world?  No?  Don’t send them a request.  Yes? Read on
How have you met this person?
            It’s my friend’s parents.  You can ask your friend’s parents they like to keep tabs on their children and their children’s friends.
            It’s my boss.  Yes?  Probably no your boss puts up with you because you make him money they don’t want to see your 3000 selfies with you and the dog, cat, hamster or your 300 best buddies.
            It’s a coworker.
                        Do you like said coworker? No? Don’t send them a request. Yes? Send them a    request.
            It’s a classmate.  See coworker above.
            It’s my teacher.  Do you really want your teacher to know that the reason you didn’t get your assignment done is that you were too busy taking selfies with you and the dog?
            It’s a friend of a friend.  But have you ever met this person?
            Do you like this person.  No?  Don’t send them a request.  Yes?  Send them a request.
Do you talk to this person outside of Facebook?  Yes?  Send them a request.  No?  Read on.
            Why do you not talk to this person outside of Facebook?
                        We were really close friends and they moved to Albuquerque. Send them a request pronto.
                        They are mean to me.  Do I really need to tell you not to send them a request?
                        We don’t have any classes together and eat at different lunches and we don’t drive.  Send a  request.

Hopefully this will help you in understanding the difference between an acquaintance and a friend and will stop your excessive friend requests on Facebook.  It might also explain to you why you have sent me a request but I haven’t responded.  I like you, I think you are a nice person but we just aren’t friends you don’t really want to see all my selfies with my aunt Agnes and her poodle and I don’t want to see all your weird face selfies.  And that’s okay this way we don’t have to get each other birthday cards or pay for the extra food the other would eat at our parties.

Oh and one more thing this isn’t some secret way to get invited to more birthday parties or parties in general.  I really truly don’t care for parties one or two a year is plenty I don't think I could handle 89 parties.

1 comment:

  1. I think I am at around 2000 "friends". But for me this has several purposes beyond merely being social....such as networking, ministry, news, and staying connected with people I have met long ago

    ReplyDelete