Life's a dance

"Life's a dance you learn as you go
Sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow
Don't worry about what you don't know
Life's a dance you learn as you go"
-John Michael Montgomery Life's a Dance

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

What exactly does Mr. McMichael mean by community

I'm re-posting a portion of Mr. McMichael's original letter he has not taken the opportunity to comment but it still exists should he choose to exercise it as well as anyone else who wishes to comment.
"People tend to get caught up in the specifics and not look at the big picture. The big picture is community! Our school is the heart and soul of our community and whether you want to believe it or not, extracurricular activities are a big part of community.  You attend a football game or basketball game and you gather with your friends and neighbors. You get that hometown feel. You know what I’m talking about. You go to a game, you hear the cheers of the crowd, the singing of the national anthem, the band, the students all coming together.

It is a sense of family, a sense of belonging. That is what living in a small community is about and that’s why I live here. I want that quality of life for myself, my children, and my grandchildren.

A couple of weeks ago I went to the NP middle School basketball tournament.  I will be honest the only reason I was there was because my daughter was playing, if she hadn't been playing I wouldn't have been there.  I saw Mr. McMichael there also. However, Mr. McMichael left as soon as the girls were done playing and didn't stick around for the boys tournament.  I did stay for one game because one of our youth was playing but if Mr. McMichael is so sold on the school being the heart and soul of the community, like it was 50 years ago, and that extracurricular activities are a big part of that, why did he not stay for the entire tournament?  Or where was Mr. McMichael last night at the mid-winter band, jazz band and choir concert?  Well it's probably because he's like most other people if it isn't varsity boys sports or his children aren't involved he doesn't care.

I don't think we should cut our extra curricular activities.  I think we should increase the admission to all sporting events, we should double the price of admission and double or triple all the concession stand prices.  What I object too is that I don't think tax dollars should be taken away from things that benefit all students to pay for the things that only a minority of students are interested in.  But then again I think it's time that our government got out of the business of education and let the free market take over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment