Life's a dance

"Life's a dance you learn as you go
Sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow
Don't worry about what you don't know
Life's a dance you learn as you go"
-John Michael Montgomery Life's a Dance

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

religion in public life to win a book

My beliefs about religion in public life are summed up well in the Steve Taylor song

It's A Personal Thing: “I'm devout, I'm sincere, and I'm proud to say
that it's had exactly no effect on who I am today I believe for the benefit for all mankind
in the total separation of church and mind”

Many of Steve Taylor’s songs are sarcastic but I think many, at least those who follow a more secular thought process anyway, believe that our faith should have no effect on who we are or the decisions that we make. Which has lead our society down a path to worshiping the constitution, and our government believing that it is the be all and end all arbitrator of what is right and what is wrong.

But if there is no higher law then our constitution and the laws of the land then anything can be declared right by virtue of it being declared legal. I think one of the reasons that religion is taboo in public and politics is that it forces us to acknowledge that we are not the ultimate authority on anything and that we must answer to God sooner or later.

For a review of a book I’m trying to win by blogging on this go here

Friar Tuck's Fleeting Thoughts: End of Secularism Book Review and Giveaway

1 comment: